Friday 30 August 2013

2013 - first half

I began the year with a trip to Australia which coincided with my work being exhibited at the Mall Galleries in London, as part of the annual exhibition of the Society of Designer Craftsmen. I was disappointed to miss the excitement of the private view and spending time there as a steward but fellow members were on hand to answer any questions and sent me some photographs. I was very pleased to see my work on the front of the exhibition catalogue and on the flyer!



When I returned from my travels I had to start work straightaway on a piece of work for the Art Show 2013: Art Alive! exhibition at the Assembly House in Norwich.

 I had committed myself to making a very large piece - 1 metre by 2 metres, which was the by far the largest hanging I have ever made. It became very heavy and needed lots of stitching together. However, it was alright in the end, thankfully, and it was good to see it hanging in the same room as some very prestigious artists such as Maggi Hambling, John Kiki and Bruer Tidman.


I began with photographs of the local landscape, then made a drawing -and the final piece wasn't too far out from the drawing.





I have also been making some small porcelain vessels and love the delicacy and translucency of this clay.




I'm now preparing for some craft fairs in the lead up to Christmas - machine knitting, hand knitting and crochet! I'll be at the Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace, keen to see this year's finalists for the UK Hand Knitting Association Knitted Textile Awards, have a look at last year's finalists here.






No comments:

Post a Comment